The Bosnia Sustainable Neighborhood Contract is the sixth neighborhood contract in the community of Saint-Gilles. Several projects that have stemmed from these neighborhood contracts are located at the edge or the perimeter and initiated revitalization (such as Rodelle Islet, Printer Islet/ Belgrade, public spaces such as Bethlehem Square and the Th Street project underway. Verhaegen, the two-bench square, and the intersection of Avenue de Forest and Rue Combaz).
Due to the high density level of residences in this neighborhood (one of Belgium’s largest), the development of new residences (one of the primary objectives of neighborhood contracts) is not relevant here. Besides, these confines include several operations financed by the FEDER program, for example, Village Partenaire and the Maison des Cultures.
The main objective of this sustainable neighborhood contract is to really improve the environment and the living conditions of the residents.
21 Solutions was in charge of the participatory phase of the study plan coordinated by the ERU for the preparation of the Bosnia Sustainable Neighborhood Contract in Saint-Gilles. Participation was developed through 3 different, but totally complementing channels:
– A method with respect to the public at large, including citizens, neighbors, neighborhood users, workers, business owners, etc.
– A procedure with respect to the major stakeholders: associations, neighborhood committees, structures that exist in this neighborhood,
– A procedure with respect to public authorities: public works, education, sport, senior citizens, children, adolescents, housing, after-school activities, prevention, policing, etc.
On the basis of the major findings and the diagnostic work that was shared, 3 major issues were identified:
1. Improvements to housing and to the neighborhood’s livability
2. Strengthening social cohesion
3. Support for small neighborhood businesses and promotion of economic activity
The results of the participatory process served to create a program of actions and they were included in the base file of the sustainable neighborhood contract at the end of 2012.
• 1330560000 •Participation, Eco-construction
• 1305072000 •Participation, Heritage
• 1391040000 •Participation, Eco-construction, Heritage